How to Apply to M.F.A.
Stage One, October 1-December 15:
* Please submit a writing sample of 10 pages of poems (single-spaced) or no more than 30 pages of prose (double-spaced) with your name and contact information on them. Also provide a cover sheet with your name, address, phone number, and email, and the titles of the pieces in your work sample.
*If applying for both genres, please send two separate Phase I applications.
* A statement of purpose/letter of intent (no more than two single-spaced pages) about entering the program that also indicates if you wish to be considered for a teaching assistantship or fellowship. The statement should indicate your background and experience, as well as any academic or career goals. There is no separate application for a teaching assistantship or fellowship. This letter should also include your contact information.
The writing sample, statement of purpose/letter of intent, and contact information sheet should be emailed as a PDF to email@example.com. The pdf should be only one document containing your writing sample, contact info, and letter/statement of intent. Please name the document your last name/genre. For example: Smith/prose.
Please email ONLY a writing sample with a cover sheet and a statement of purpose/letter of intent pdf for the first stage. Make sure to include a cover sheet with your name, email address, phone number, and physical address and have your contact information on your writing sample and statement of purpose/letter of intent.
* All phase one application materials must be emailed as a named (Ex. Smith/Prose) PDF by December 15.
Please be aware that there is no application fee for the application process’s first stage. Our first step in evaluating applicants is based solely on the merits of the writing. There is no need to apply for admission to the Graduate School unless we inform you that your work moves you onto stage two.
**ALL 2023 Phase II Applicants have been notified.
Wait for a response from Stage I, which we will try to have by February 15. When we have made our selections for Stage II, we will post a notification on our website. *If you do not hear from us, you have not moved onto the second stage of the application process and will not be admitted into the MFA program*
If you are on our list of finalists, you will be contacted by email and a telephone call and asked to complete the UM Graduate School online application form and send an application fee ($50). Send three letters of recommendation to the Graduate School. The GRE is NOT required.
- Stage II applicants need to send official transcripts AND three letters of recommendation (emailed to the Graduate School) upon notification.
- The link to the online Graduate School application is here: https://olemiss.edu/applynow/ and their email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recommendations: When you put in your recommenders’ email addresses, it will take 24-48 hours for them to get an email from the Grad School. That email should include a link where they can upload their recommendation.
Transcripts: Please send official transcripts to:The University of Mississippi
Graduate School100 Graduate HouseUniversity, MS 38677If you don’t have official transcripts yet, you can upload or email unofficial ones to email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org as you wait for those to clear.
- Writing Samples: You do not need to reupload your writing sample or statement of purpose. However, if the application will not let you submit it without that step, go ahead and upload whatever you sent us in the fall.
- The deadline for you to submit Stage 2 application materials is March 1 (though we realize that your official transcripts may take longer to arrive).