- Ph.D., Indiana University (1972)
- M.A., Indiana University (1967)
- B.A., Grove City College (1965)
Teaching and Research Interests
- nonfiction writing
- writing theory
- writing program administration
- Soldier’s Son. Jackson, MS: The University Press of Mississippi. March, 2004.
- “Writing Program Administration Theories,” in Theorizing Composition: A Critical Sourcebook of Theory and Scholarship in Contemporary Composition Studies. Mary Lynch Kennedy (ed.). Westport, CN: Greenwood Press, 1998. (Dictionary Entry)
- The New American Rhetoric. New York: HarperCollins, January, 1993. (Freshman English textbook)
- Writing Practice: A Rhetoric of the Writing Process. New York: Longman, Inc., 1984. (Freshman English textbook)
- “A New Millennium for the Writing program,” in Administrative Problem-Solving for Writing Programs and Writing Centers. Linda Myers-Breslin (ed.). Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English, 1999. 167-179.
- “From Icon to Partner: Repositioning the Writing Program Administrator,” in Theorizing and Enacting Difference: Resituating Writing Programs Within the Academy. Joe Janangelo and Kristine Hansen (eds.) Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann Boynton Cook, 1996. 151-159.
- “Responding to Student Writers,” in Twelve Readers Reading. Ronald Lunsford and Rick Straub (eds.). Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press, 1996.
- “A Writing Program Administrator’s Response,” in Writing Theory and Critical Theory. John Clifford and John Schilb (eds.). New York: Modern Language Association, 1994. 262-270.