- Ph.D., English, Stanford University, (1978)
- M.A., English, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY (1974)
- M.A., Journalism, Columbia University (1966)
- B.A., Liberal Arts, University of Illinois (1965)
- The Midnight Court: Eleven Versions of Merriman. Dublin: The Lillilput Press, 2015.
- After the Irish: An Anthology of Poetic Translation. 2009.
- The Irish Poetry of J.J. Callanan. 2005.
- Out of What Began: A History of Irish Poetry in English. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1998.
- Reviews and Essays of Austin Clarke. 1995.
- William Trevor: A Study of His Fiction. 1990.
- The Poetry of Austin Clarke. University of Notre Dame Press, 1983.