Apply to the Ph.D. Program
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JANUARY 15
Application for admission to graduate study in English is now online.
GENERAL APPLICATION GUIDELINES
The first part of the online application collects basic information (your name, D.O.B., degree information, etc.). After you submit this general Graduate School application and pay the application fee ($50.00), you will be prompted to upload supplemental application materials. The English department requires you to upload/provide the following:
- statement of purpose: a 2-page document describing your academic interests, qualifying experiences, and specific reasons for pursuing a graduate degree in English at the University of Mississippi.
- writing sample: a polished seminar-length sample (20-25 double-spaced pages) of your best academic work.
- the contact information for three recommenders who will supplyconfidential letters of recommendation addressing your developing scholarly interests, your academic performance and potential, and any other details relevant to graduate study in English.
For step-by-step instructions on submitting the online application and supplemental materials, please see below.
In addition to the online application and supplemental materials described above, candidates for admission to the English Ph.D. must also provide the following to the Graduate School:
- GREscore (general test only); the TOEFL or IELTS is required of all applicants whose native language is not To have GRE and/or TOEFL scores forwarded, contact ETS and have them send them to the Graduate School directly. The institutional code for the University of Mississippi is 1840; for GRE the department code is 5199; for TOEFL the department code: is 99.
- Official transcripts from the institution conferring your baccalaureate degree and from all colleges and universities subsequently attended. Official transcripts should be sent to the Graduate School at this address:
The Graduate School
100 Grad School House
PO Box 1848
University, MS 38677
Official electronic transcripts from domestic institutions may be sent to email@example.com. Please note that only transcripts received directly from the college/university will be considered official. If you have not yet received your degree, please provide your current transcript. After you graduate, a second official transcript showing that your degree was conferred will need to be sent as well.
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR ONLINE APPLICATION
Step 1: Go to the Graduate School’s Website. Under the “Prospective Students” tab, click “Apply Now Online.” https://www.olemiss.edu/gradschool/applynow.html
Step 2: Create an account by entering your email and selecting a password.
Step 3: Make sure that your computer will allow pop-ups.
Step 4: On the second page (“Application for Graduate Admission”), read the Application Overview and check the box at the top that states: “I have read the application overview.” Enter your residency information. Click “Begin Application Process.”
Step 5: On the third page (“Application for Graduate Admission-Personal Information”), enter the requested information.
Step 6: On the fourth page (“Admissions”) enter the department as “English” and select the degree for which you wish to apply and the semester in which you wish to enroll. Please note: all graduate degrees in English enroll students in the fall only and are based exclusively on the Oxford campus. Answer the questions pertaining to “Educational Background.”
Step 7: On pages 5 and 6, enter your contact information and residency information. On page 7 enter your Educational/Work History.
Step 8: Page eight (“Submit Application”) allows you to review the information you have entered thus far and submit your application. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO REVIEW YOUR APPLICATION BEFORE YOU SUBMIT. ONCE YOU HAVE SUBMITTED YOUR APPLICATION, THE GRADUATE SCHOOL IS UNABLE TO CHANGE INFORMATION. Click the box certifying that the information you have provided is correct to submit application. Once you have submitted your application, you will be asked to pay for your application fee ($50.00).
Step 9: Once you have submitted payment information, a window will pop up asking you to provide supplemental materials. The English Department requires: 1. A statement of purpose; 2. a writing sample; and 3. the names and contact information of three confidential recommenders. A link will be sent to your recommenders asking them to upload their letters of recommendation. It is important that you alert your recommenders about your application in advance and that you waive your rights to review their letter of reference by checking the appropriate box.
Step 10: After each required part of the supplemental materials is provided, a green check mark will appear. Wen you have finished providing the supplemental materials, hit save. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONCE YOU HIT SAVE YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THEN LOG OUT OF THE APPLICATION SYSTEM. THE COMPUTER WILL AUTOMATICALLY UPLOAD YOUR SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION TO YOUR ONLINE PROFILE.
Once your application has been submitted, it takes approximately 24 to 48 hours for your application to be uploaded into the system and for your recommenders to receive the email requesting a letter. Keep track of your application number in order to track the status of your application.