DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: JANUARY 15
Application for admission to graduate study in English is a two-part process. First, apply online to the University of Mississippi Graduate School; second, please mail a statement of purpose, a writing sample, and three letters of recommendation to the Department of English
HOW TO APPLY
- Apply online to the Graduate School at http://www.olemiss.edu/gradschool/applynow.html
- Complete the Online Application
- Submit the required supporting documents:
- Official University transcripts
- GRE scores (general test only)
- All test scores must be sent directly from the testing service. The Institution Code for the University of Mississippi on the GRE and TOEFL is 1840.
- Once all of the steps have been completed and the $40 non-refundable application fee has been received, your application will be sent for department review.
- TOEFL/IELTS scores – International Students only
2. Submit a statement of purpose, a writing sample, and 3 letters of recommendation to:
PhD Graduate Admissions
Department of English
C128 Bondurant Hall
P.O. Box 1848
University, MS 38677-1848
- The statement of purpose should be approximately 500 words (no more than two typewritten pages), describing your academic interests, qualifying experiences, and specific reasons for pursuing a graduate degree in English at the University of Mississippi.
- The writing sample should be a polished seminar-length sample (no more than 20 double-spaced pages) of your best academic work. The sample should represent some significant aspect of your interests and/or academic strengths.
- The three confidential letters of recommendation should address your developing scholarly interests, your academic performance and potential, and any other details relevant to graduate study in English. Have your recommenders send them in hard copy (separately in signed and sealed envelopes) directly to the department.